By Football Italian staffThe 24-year-old will miss out of Italy’s World Cup qualifier against Estonia, while the rest of the squad will be able to start on Tuesday in a friendly against Poland.
Ronaldo will miss his country’s opening match against Slovakia, which takes place on Monday, as well as Italy’s friendly against Estonia on Tuesday.
“Cristiano Ronaldo has decided to miss the Europa League and Italy’s first match against Poland on Monday,” Italy’s head coach Gianni Infantino said on Tuesday, as reported by Il Giornale.
“He will also miss the friendly against Slovakia on Tuesday.”
Ronaldo’s withdrawal means that Juve will have to rely on their two remaining regulars – Angel Di Maria and Mario Balotelli – for a place in the World Cup final.
“Balotelli will be available in the second half of the season, while Di Maria has a right to be rested on Tuesday,” Infantio added.
“We will be without [goalkeeper] Massimiliano Allegri, but we have already been given the option to use Mario Suarez.”
“It is a good chance for us to take advantage of the opportunity to play at home and get a chance to play in front of a big crowd,” said Infantini.
“And we will need it, because the quality of the opposition will be high, and we have to win.”
Ronaldinho is the fourth player to miss Italy’s opening fixture in Estonia.
The Brazilian striker was sent off against Ukraine in his first match back after being ruled out for eight months with an ankle injury, and was replaced by Diego Costa in the 62nd minute.
The 28-year, 114-cap former Manchester United man has now missed the entire World Cup campaign with a knee injury, as he had a scan earlier in the month.
Ronaldino has scored 11 goals in 25 games this season for the Giallorossi, including three in Italy’s 3-1 victory over Estonia in their opening game.
He scored an assist against Ukraine, before helping his side to a 1-0 victory over Slovakia.